Monday, February 10, 2014

19 things from this 19th year.

As my final days of a true teen are coming to a close, my natural tendency toward introspection is through the roof. I'm not usually this sentimental, but there is something a little jarring about beginning a whole new decade of life. As a new chapter is preparing to take off, whether I like it or not another is finding closure. Although on the surface there certainly seems to be nothing monumental about 19, it definitely did a number on me. I'm an avid writer (and by that I mean I fiendishly fill up journals with rambling half formed thoughts) so each February I take time to go read over the past year. Sometimes it's a hot mess, and I just want to go knock some sense into my self of months past. However, there is something pretty empowering about seeing the progression of your own mental state. It's also pretty cool to see in hindsight the way that God works and resolves even when it seems that He is silent. So on that note, here are 19 thoughts from my 19th year.

1) Family really are the ones who will always be there
2) It's ok to be vulnerable and show weakness. Let others care for you.
3) Truth trumps emotion
4) It is possible to speak out without being obnoxious
5) I and my perceptions may change but God does not
6) There is indeed such a thing as too much coffee
7) Those with differing perspectives from my own hold infinite value
8) Whatever unfolds HE is always good, and I am always loved
9) No matter what, joy can be found and thanks can be given
10) Love must be active and acted out, not just spoken
11) My skills and talents hold value. Embrace them, don't compare
12) Busyness does not always equal productivity. Don't use it to mask emptiness. 
13) His blood was shed for my freedom, not deliverance. It's time to let go of the old creation and live in the fullness of Christ. 
14) To press onwards in faith and see His promises at work, I have to believe in the truth of the word and not in my own circumstances or lies of the past. 
15) Time spent communing and seeking his presence is time well spent
16) A life of freedom means that I have a responsibility to proclaim freedom to the captives and speak out against injustice
17) It's ok to still love adventures. 
18) If I am going to say "Your will, Your way" I have to actually mean it. 
19) Rest and fullness of joy can only be found in His presence and His presence can be found anywhere. Even if called to a quite, simple life I must be content. Happiness should not depend on location or circumstance.

 Here's hoping that in this next year I travel a little, grow a lot, have some adventures and learn how to surf. Cheers to 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment